Getting Documentation of Residency:
- Nobles, Chivalric or Higher: House insignae/Seal/Signet plus letters patent are proof enough.
- Mages: In the Mage's quarter, there is a five day wait for letters patent from the School of Mystic Arts, although those who know any of the city's three Mage-Regents can get them faster. These documents both prove a mage is a graduate and state his last known address as found in the School's records. Most importantly for mages, however, these documents contain a perfect image of the mage that updates itself. The city Librarian can get them fastest, but his attendants will make it clear he is booked solid. Expect to pay at least 200gp for the documents, and much more if you want them faster. If you're not a mage with a relationship with the school you'll need to get your documentation in another way.
- Clerics: If you hold an office in an order with an established temple in the city, you can get a badge from that temple. Expect to make at least a 10gp donation. These items, which are generally worn around the neck on a chain, mark you as affiliated with that specific temple. The guards will then verify this with a list from the temple. You must go to your temple to verify this. If your temple is not recognized by the city, you will need another way.
- Rogues: Bards without letters patent from the city can get them from Bardic (2 week wait) or get a pass to stay in the city for two weeks as a guest. Thieves: Members of thieves' guilds are usually members of other guilds as well. Your guild contact can make arrangements. Assassins: If you can't forge or otherwise acquire good enough documents to get out, you've no business being an assassin.
- Men-at-Arms: If you're in a company or guild, you can get them that way. HOWEVER, expect the queen to hold mercenary companies to ransom as guards for the walls. If you're a town guard, you're not getting out.